1882 – St. John’s Evangelical Church was established by early settlers most of whom had roots in the Evangelical Church of Germany. A church building and parsonage were built the next year.
1885 – First Presbyterian Church established in Le Mars by pioneer settlers rooted in the Church of Scotland. Church building and manse built.
1907 – Presbyterian Church building remodeled and enlarged.
1911 – St. John’s Church remodeled and enlarged.
1934 – The Evangelical Synod of North America and the Reformed Church in the United States merged to form the Evangelical and Reformed Church.
1957 – The E. and R. Church joined with the Congregational Christian Church to form the United Church of Christ.
1964 – January Congregational meeting of the First Presbyterian Church ordered the appointment of an Investigation Committee to determine the extent and critical nature of need for physical expansion of the mission of the church.
1966 – September, Conversations began between St. John’s United Church of Christ and First Presbyterian Church investigating the possibility of worshiping together.
1966 – October 23, The two congregations voted unanimously to yoke together—worshiping in separate buildings
1966 – November, First service together. Thanksgiving Service conducted by the men of the two congregations in St. John’s Church.
1968 – January, St. John’s buildings sold. The two congregations federated—worshiping in the Presbyterian Building – one pastor, one treasury, one set of officers, but maintaining two membership rolls.
1968-1969 – Plans were developed for a new building
1970 – February 6, Signed contract with Hersom Construction Co. of Laurens, IA, to build a new building to cost $240,000.00.
1970 – June, Construction began.
1971 – May 23, Transition Sunday. The church service was begun in the old building, then the congregation walked to the new building and completed the service there.
1971 – June 11, Dedication of the new building.
1972 – Auction held at old Presbyterian Church to get rid of fixtures, windows, weather vane, and anything which could be salvaged. Click on the link to read a fun story about the weather vane: Weather Vane Story
1983 – “100 Years and United Together into His Future” – Centennial Celebration began, Men & Boys Dinner, Vaudeville Night, Hillview Picnic, Trivet tiles sold for $5.00
1984 – Centennial Celebration formally ended with Pentecost Communion Service
1990 – Noah’s Ark Preschool began
1996 – October, A special organ fund was started to raise $25,000 toward the organ project
1997 – A dedication and installation service and recital were held for the Alta Werth Memorial Organ
1997 – English as a Second Language project initiated
1998 – Supper Club was organized
2000 – Stephen Ministry Program was implemented
2001 – Heifer Ranch Mission Trip
2001 – Sanctuary décor—decorative wood bands were installed on the back wall of the sanctuary early in the year. A new sound booth was installed at the back of the sanctuary to facilitate the new sound system and projection equipment. Fellowship Hall – New operable partition walls on tracks were installed in late summer providing space for up to four smaller functions.
2002 – Updated the Chapel so that it is a more pleasant and usable space for small worship services and weddings.
2003 – 22 Member’s Mission project in Playa del Carmen
2005 – The LOGOS for Youth Ministry program was initiated for children and youth from pre-school through high school age. Many adult volunteers were involved.
2007 – Both men’s and women’s restrooms were renovated to make them more handicap friendly.
2008 – The JOY (Jesus, Others & You) program was initiated for children and youth from pre-school through high school age. Many adult volunteers were involved.
2008 – Living Waters of the World, 2 members sent to Haiti
2009 – September, Celebrated 125th Quasquicentennial
2009 – Children’s Chapel began using the Godly Play Program
2010 – New “Come & Share Your Sunday With Us” church float constructed with replica of Church building
2012 – Installed steel Roof
2015 – Annual Chili Cook-0ff began
2015 – Summer, New Crismons were made and decorated
2015 – August 2, Jill Miller Concert
2015 – September, Rally Sunday Car Show
2015 – December 21 First Longest Night Service held
2016 – Pastor 3-month Sabbatical
2016 – Upgrade to the church offices
2017 – Upgrade to fellowship hall
2017 – April, Living Last Supper performed by Sheldon Methodist Men
2018 – November 11, Josh’s Ride special needs bike given to a local girl with special needs as part of the VBS Mission Project
2018 – December 23, Deacon’s gift member with a special needs bike
2019 – March 26, Friendship Circle celebrated 50+ years