Our History

1882 – St. John’s Evangelical Church was established by early settlers most of whom had roots in the Evangelical Church of Germany.  A church building and parsonage were built the next year.

1885 – First Presbyterian Church established in Le Mars by pioneer settlers rooted in the Church of Scotland.  Church building and manse built.

1907 – Presbyterian Church building remodeled and enlarged.

1911 – St. John’s Church remodeled and enlarged.

1934 – The Evangelical Synod of North America and the Reformed Church in the United States merged to form the Evangelical and Reformed Church.

1957 – The E. and R. Church joined with the Congregational Christian Church to form the United Church of Christ.

1964 – January Congregational meeting of the First Presbyterian Church ordered the appointment of an Investigation Committee to determine the extent and critical nature of need for physical expansion of the mission of the church.

1966 – September, Conversations began between St. John’s United Church of Christ and First Presbyterian Church investigating the possibility of worshiping together.

1966 – October 23, The two congregations voted unanimously to yoke together—worshiping in separate buildings

1966 – November, First service together.  Thanksgiving Service conducted by the men of the two congregations in St. John’s Church.

1968 – January, St. John’s buildings sold.  The two congregations federated—worshiping in the Presbyterian Building – one pastor, one treasury, one set of officers, but  maintaining two membership rolls.

1968-1969 – Plans were developed for a new building

1970 – February 6, Signed contract with Hersom Construction Co. of Laurens, IA, to build a new building to cost $240,000.00.

1970 – June, Construction began.

1971 – May 23, Transition Sunday.  The church service was begun in the old building, then the congregation walked to the new building and completed the service there.

1971 – June 11, Dedication of the new building.

1972 – Auction held at old Presbyterian Church to get rid of fixtures, windows, weather vane, and anything which could be salvaged. Click on the link to read a fun story about the weather vane: Weather Vane Story

1983 – “100 Years and United Together into His Future” – Centennial Celebration began, Men & Boys Dinner, Vaudeville Night, Hillview Picnic, Trivet tiles sold for $5.00

1984 – Centennial Celebration formally ended with Pentecost Communion Service

1990 – Noah’s Ark Preschool began

1996 – October, A special organ fund was started to raise $25,000 toward the organ project

1997 – A dedication and installation service and recital were held for the Alta Werth Memorial Organ

1997 – English as a Second Language project initiated

1998 – Supper Club was organized

2000 – Stephen Ministry Program was implemented

2001 – Heifer Ranch Mission Trip

2001 – Sanctuary décor—decorative wood bands were installed on the back wall of the sanctuary early in the year.  A new sound booth was installed at the back of the sanctuary to facilitate the new sound system and projection equipment. Fellowship Hall – New operable partition walls on tracks were installed in late summer providing space for up to four smaller functions.

2002 – Updated the Chapel so that it is a more pleasant and usable space for small worship services and weddings.

2003 – 22 Member’s Mission project in Playa del Carmen

2005 – The LOGOS for Youth Ministry program was initiated for children and youth from pre-school through high school age.  Many adult volunteers were involved.

2007 – Both men’s and women’s restrooms were renovated to make them more handicap friendly. 

2008 – The JOY (Jesus, Others & You) program was initiated for children and youth from pre-school through high school age.  Many adult volunteers were involved.

2008 – Living Waters of the World, 2 members sent to Haiti

2009 – September, Celebrated 125th Quasquicentennial

2009 – Children’s Chapel began using the Godly Play Program

2010 – New “Come & Share Your Sunday With Us” church float constructed with replica of Church building 

2012 – Installed steel Roof

2015 – Annual Chili Cook-0ff began

2015 – Summer, New Crismons were made and decorated

2015 – August 2, Jill Miller Concert

2015 – September, Rally Sunday Car Show

2015 – December 21 First Longest Night Service held

2016 – Pastor 3-month Sabbatical

2016 – Upgrade to the church offices

2017 – Upgrade to fellowship hall

2017 – April, Living Last Supper performed by Sheldon Methodist Men

2018 – November 11, Josh’s Ride special needs bike given to a local girl with special needs as part of the VBS Mission Project

2018 – December 23, Deacon’s gift member with a special needs bike

2019 – March 26, Friendship Circle celebrated 50+ years