Our History

1882 – St. John’s Evangelical Church was established by early settlers in Le Mars, most of whom had roots in the Evangelical Church of Germany. A church building and parsonage were built the following year.
1885 – First Presbyterian Church was established in Le Mars by pioneer settlers rooted in the Church of Scotland. The Church building and manse were built.

1907 – First Presbyterian Church building was remodeled and enlarged.

1911 – St. John’s Church building was remodeled and enlarged.

September 1966 – Conversations began between St. John’s United Church of Christ and First Presbyterian investigating the possibility of worshiping together.

October 23, 1966 – The two congregations voted unanimously to work together – worshiping in separate buildings with Rev. J. D. Ransom of the First Presbyterian Church as pastor.

November 1966 – Our first service together – Thanksgiving Service was conducted by the men of the two congregations in St. John’s Church.

January 1968 – St. John’s building was sold. The two congregations federated – worshiping in the Presbyterian building – one pastor, one treasurer, one set of officers, but maintaining two membership roles.

From 1968 to 1969 – Plans were developed for a new building.

February 6, 1970 – We signed a contract with Hersom Construction Co., Laurens, Iowa, to build a new building at a cost $240,000.00.

June 1970 – Construction began.

May 23, 1971 – Transition Sunday – the church service began in the old building, and then the congregation walked to the new building and completed the service there.

June 11, 1971 – Dedication of the new building. Both of the federated churches carried on active fellowship organizations.

1984 – We celebrated our Centennial.

2009- We celebrated our Quasquicentennial with the Rev. Ralph Nelson.

Special Milestones of our Church

The Ordination of the Reverend Carol Pitts

The Commissioning of Lay Pastor Dennis Sohl